Tatcha is skincare born from the original makeup lover: the iconic geisha of Kyoto. In my years of study with them, I have had the honor of learning the skincare rituals passed down from generation to generation, but we have also discussed the keys to their performance makeup.
In my time with Tatcha, I have also become friends with modern-day makeup artists, beloved for their fashion-forward editorial and red-carpet work. I was delighted to find that many of their trade secrets are parallel to the ones that geisha have practiced for centuries—proving to me again that these women were far ahead of their time.
Whether for a natural, everyday look or a full face of contour, red lip and a cat-eye, these are some of the tips and tricks I’ve learned to make the most of your makeup.
- Start with exfoliation. The Rice Enzyme Powder gently polishes skin like a jewel to help create a smooth canvas so makeup applies evenly. Choose the right SPF. For daytime events, you’ll need sun protection that won’t create a white cast under flash lighting.
- Begin with the eyes. When makeup artists work, they always begin with the eyes, because eyeshadow can fall on the skin below. I personally like to either apply an eye mask or a thick layer of eye cream under the eye to hydrate and plump, while catching any eyeshadow that falls.
- Nourish the lips. I apply a thick layer of lip balm as a lip mask when I finish washing my face, allowing my lips to get soft and plump while finishing my eyes. I use a towel to gently massage away the excess afterwards so they get a light exfoliation, as well.
- Blot away carrier oils. The geisha’s original beauty secret was to spirit away excess oils (both from the skin and the carrier oils from makeup) using all-natural leaflets made from abaca. Today, our Petal Fresh Original Aburatorigami Beauty Papers are beloved by red carpet artists to set makeup and lift away excess shine.
- Plump and glow in one step with a sheet mask. When skin is deeply hydrated, it glows from the inside out so that you can focus on fun accents of color rather than complexion correcting makeup.
- Create natural radiance with a beauty oil. To keep makeup from feeling caked-on, mix a few drops of foundation with a beauty oil like our Gold Camellia Beauty Oil, then bounce it into skin with a beautyblender. The oil thins out the foundation and helps it blend more evenly across the surface of the skin without leaving skin shiny.
- Keep skin glowing with a hydrating face mist. To prevent makeup from drying out during the day, we created the Luminous Dewy Skin Mist—a liquid moisturizer that refreshes makeup and boosts skin’s glow on the go.
- Choose a multi-tasking primer. To protect and perfect their skin, geisha use a layer of wax as a primer. We wanted to recreate those benefits without the wax, and turned to silk—The Silk Canvas protects skin from makeup while boosting color payoff and wear.
As a skincare and a makeup lover, I was delighted to learn that skincare tricks could help improve makeup performance, while still keeping my skin healthy and protected. I hope these tips help you make the most of your makeup.