My time in Japan has taught me to reflect on little things to do with my loved ones that make each day more meaningful. While many positive practices and encouraging affirmations are perfect for starting your day, I feel that nighttime is often overlooked in its potential for self-care, mindfulness, and establishing good habits to create a brighter tomorrow.
- Wash the day away — There is something cathartic about washing away the day. This used to be a rush-through routine for me, but ever since I started using a cleansing oil, it has become my favorite way to kick off a nighttime ritual. Fully removing your makeup and cleansing before going to sleep is one of the best things you can do for your skin in the long term. Tatcha’s Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil gently removes impurities, even the toughest waterproof makeup, allowing you to sleep soundly with pure, silky soft skin. What I really love, though, is the little facial massage you automatically give yourself when using a cleansing oil. No matter what happened during the day, this ritual rinses the worries away for me.
- Appreciate the sunset — My favorite evening tradition with my daughter, Alea, is our sunset reflection time. Each night, we watch the sun go down, taking in the watercolor sky and this magical time with one another. Even when my treasure-hunting takes me far away, she and I still keep up this tradition; while on the phone together, we each describe the sunset in our respective corner of the world.
- Cut out late-night screen time — After a day of work, it’s important to give your eyes and brain a rest from the harsh lights of laptops, TVs, and cell phones. At least 30 minutes before bed — preferably longer — I set down the devices for screen-free time. During this time, I love to snuggle in with my family in a pile of cats and comforters and share moments from our day with one another.
- Practice meditation — Meditating before bed helps your mind and body to rest, regroup, and restore. Bedtime meditation can help you sleep more deeply, and it provides the perfect moment to set intentions for the following day.
- Stick to a bedtime — We’re all guilty of pulling late nights, but routine is important for both the body and mind. No matter what time zone I am in, I try to stick to a specific bedtime, which helps guarantee that my following day feel more bright, productive, and energized. My idea of heaven is being asleep by 9pm and waking up refreshed and without an alarm clock by 5am. It is glorious!
- Reflect upon a good memory from the day — I find that being mindful and appreciative of life’s good moments motivates me to create more of them. Sometimes these memories are as tiny as a smile I shared with a stranger or as large as hitting a major milestone in Tatcha’s partnership with Room to Read, but each one feels significant. Reflecting on them helps me start the next morning with positivity.
- Treat yourself with an overnight skincare treatment — Skincare is self care. Because your body enters a state of restoration while you sleep, it’s one of the most effective times to use a skincare treatment. That’s why we created the new Violet-C Brightening Serum — with Japanese beautyberry, Japanese angelica root, 20% Vitamin C, and 10% AHAs to reveal a smoother, brighter complexion — as an overnight treatment. I love to apply this effortless serum during my nighttime beauty ritual; when I wake up in the morning, my skin looks and feels noticeably softer and smoother, and brighter with each passing day.
- Wish upon a star — For most of my adult life, I forgot about the stars at night until I had a child who loves them. Gazing up at the gentle twinkles when the lights are off and the world is quiet is our favorite way to end the day. We sing a good night song to each other and say our wishes for our loved ones as we drift off to sleep.